Saturday, February 4, 2012

Hair Bow Holder

My good friend Cinda just had a sweet baby girl. And I've made lots of things for this little darling already, but I'd never made a bow holder. I saw one somewhere before and thought that is super cute!  So here's my version of baby K's bow holder.

I went in to Walmart's craft section and selected Baby K's first initial. You could do the child's whole name or their initials, I stuck with the one letter. How many bows can a newborn have?  Well this one perhaps many she is the first granddaughter in a long long long line of boys!  While at WM, I also picked my paints, hot glue sticks, & ribbon (craft section), then headed over to hardware and grabbed a can of Crystal Clear Enamel.




 You can paint your letter any way you want. I chose to paint my letter the same way I already painted a couple of canvas for baby K's nursery, my Jackson Pollock motif.


You can paint your letter anyway you like. To get your letter to look like this you have to waste a lot of paint, but you squeeze your paint out on the letter like you see above on the canvases. Then you have to hold your letter at different angles and bang the edges in the plate that will cause the paint to mix and swirl, do it from the top and from the bottom then from the sides and you'll get an outcome like this below.


After your paint is completely dry, take your painted letter OUTSIDE and spray the whole letter edges and all, minus the back with the spray enamel. Do not breathe this stuff in, inhalation abuse can kill you!  I chose to do several layers to make it super shiny looking. I sprayed it all over once every thirty minutes four times.


After the letter has dried over night, I attached about eight inches of ribbon to the back side of the letter with a hot glue gun. When I cut the ribbon from the spool use a lighter (I have one for the BBQ grill, cost a couple of bucks) and "warm" the edges of the ribbon so they don't fray. You don't want to BURN the edges because the ribbon will turn black.


When your letter is dry and your ribbons are hot glued on you're ready to hang it on the wall and clip on your hair bows! Super cute, super easy, great baby shower gift!!!



2 comments:

  1. This is seriously cute...and functional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love the bow holder!!! Love that it matches the painting in her room! Which by the way everyone who sees her room just loves them:) so I then show them her quilt, bibs, burp cloths and clothes you also made :) Jess is Crafty:) love u friend!!! Thank u so much

    ReplyDelete